Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Nursery school admissions

Accept your child's nursery school place

Primary schools in Neath Port Talbot offer part time nursery provision. 

When can children start nursery

Children can access a part time nursery place from the start of the term following their third birthday or the day after their 3rdbirthday providing there is sufficient room in the nursery. 

Attendance at a Nursery Class does not automatically entitle a child to a reception class place in the same school. A separate application will have to be submitted for admission to the reception class at the school you wish your child to attend.

How to apply for a nursery school place

Applications for those children who will be 3 years old between:

  • 1st September 2024 and 31st August 2025

will be available from the Admissions Team from 2nd October 2023.

The application forms must be returned by 15th March 2024.

Before you start

If you are applying for a faith school, please contact the school directly. These include:

  • Alderman Davies Church-in-Wales Primary
  • Bryncoch Church-in-Wales Primary
  • St Joseph's Catholic Infant
  • St Joseph's Catholic Primary (Neath)
  • St Therese's Catholic Primary

You can also download and complete the form below:


  • Application for nursery admissions 2024-2025 (DOCX 59 KB)

You'll need to return it to:

School Admission Office
Civic Centre Port Talbot Neath Port Talbot SA13 1PJ pref

If you have any queries please contact the School Admissions Team:

School Admissions Team
(01639) 763580 (01639) 763580 voice +441639763580
(01639) 763730 (01639) 763730 voice +441639763730

The Childcare Offer for NPT

The Childcare Offer for Wales provides 30 hours a week of free childcare and early education for eligible working parents of 3 to 4 year olds, for up to 48 weeks of the year.

The Offer consists of a combination of the existing Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) provision open to all 3 and 4 year-olds, and additional funded childcare.

All applications for the Childcare Offer are processed by Neath Port Talbot Council’s Childcare Offer Team.  Further information is available on the NPT Family website.

Frequently asked questions

You should use your current permanent address where you are living at the time you fill in the application. A pupil’s home address is considered to be a residential property that is the child’s only or main residence. At the time of application proof of permanent resident at the property concerned is required. Where documentary evidence can substantiate to the satisfaction of the Local Authority that care is split equally between parents at separate addresses, parents must name the address to be used for the purpose of allocating a school place.

If you only list one school you cannot be certain that your child will be offered a place there and, if you are unsuccessful we will not know what your second or third preference would have been. You are strongly recommended to indicate more than one preference. Doing so does not reduce your chance of getting your first preference school.

You can find some information in the parents’ handbook. You can also contact the school that you are interested in to get a copy of their prospectus, which will give you more details about the school. You can also ask to visit the school and talk to the Headteacher.

Yes, when applying for a school in another Local Authority please contact the relevant council where the school is, in order to obtain an application form and apply to them direct.

For any children wanting to attend a Neath Port Talbot school please make all applications via a paper form to the admissions team at Neath Port Talbot Council.

All changes need to be made in writing to the admissions team whether they happen before or after the closing date.