Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Secondary school admissions

When transferring to secondary school (Year 7), application forms will be available between:

  • 2nd October 2023 - 24th November 2023 

for admission for the following September.

How to apply for a school place

The online system is now closed and applications now have to be made via paper.

All applications received after the closing date will be processed as late applications.


  • Application for admission secondary school September 2024 (DOCX 59 KB)

You'll need to return it to:

School Admission Office
Civic Centre Port Talbot Neath Port Talbot SA13 1PJ pref

If you wish to apply for a current secondary school place, please refer to In Year Admissions.

If you have any queries please contact the School Admissions Team:

School Admissions Team
(01639) 763580 (01639) 763580 voice +441639763580
(01639) 763730 (01639) 763730 voice +441639763730

For further information regarding St Joseph’s RC School and 6th Form Centre please contact the school direct.

Frequently asked questions

You should use your current permanent address where you are living at the time you fill in the application. A pupil’s home address is considered to be a residential property that is the child’s only or main residence. At the time of application proof of permanent resident at the property concerned is required. Where documentary evidence can substantiate to the satisfaction of the Local Authority that care is split equally between parents at separate addresses, parents must name the address to be used for the purpose of allocating a school place.

If you only list one school you cannot be certain that your child will be offered a place there and, if you are unsuccessful we will not know what your second or third preference would have been. You are strongly recommended to indicate more than one preference. Doing so does not reduce your chance of getting your first preference school.

Yes, St Joseph’s Secondary Infant Junior and Primary, Alderman Davies CIW and Bryncoch CIW are their own admission authority. Please contact the relevant school direct for their relevant admission form.

You can find some information in the parents’ handbook. You can also contact the school that you are interested in to get a copy of their prospectus, which will give you more details about the school. You can also ask to visit the school and talk to the Headteacher.

Yes, when applying for a school in another Local Authority please contact the relevant council where the school is, in order to obtain an application form and apply to them direct.

For any children wanting to attend a Neath Port Talbot school please make all applications via a paper form to the admissions team at Neath Port Talbot Council.

All changes need to be made in writing to the admissions team whether they happen before or after the closing date.

Your allocation letter will explain the reason why it was not possible to offer you a place at your preferred school and the process for appealing against the decision. Your child’s name if indicated will also be included on a waiting list for your preferred school, which means we will consider your child for any places that become available after the initial allocation. However, there is no guarantee that a place will become available or that you will get one if it does.

If there are more children on the waiting list than places available, we will allocate the places to those who best meet the admissions criteria. This is the same criteria that are used in the initial allocation process.

It is possible that the email has been quarantined by anti-spam measures taken by your internet service provider or by settings in your mail client.

Check to make sure that, if you are Outlook/Outlook Express user, the relevant email has not been misidentified as “junk” and deposited in the junk folder. If the email has definitely not been delivered to you then contact your ISP to see whether the email can be tracked and its fate discovered.

The service providers who suffer most from the problem of incorrectly identifying key emails as spam have proved to be,,,, and

Visit the welcome page log in page, click on the link “Forgotten your password?” and enter your username. A new email will be generated and sent to your registered email address with a link to reset the password details.

Log in with your old address and select ‘Change my login details’.

Just enter your address into the address boxes.

You are able to apply for twins, triplets etc. using the online admissions system but MUST ensure that you submit a separate application for each child.