Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Information for landlords

Registering tenants retrospectively

Please be aware we will not usually register tenants for a retrospective period. For us to consider an appeal to register tenants for a past period we will need to see full supporting evidence such as:

  • tenancy agreements
  • proof of rent paid
  • utility bills
  • tenants forwarding address and contact details
  • employment details

We may decide that there is insufficient information available to consider registering the tenant for Council Tax and we may bill you for the period in question. This is why it is important to tell the Council Tax section promptly when tenants move in and out.

Payments between tenancies

When a property becomes vacant, liability reverts back to the landlord. How much you will have to pay depends on the status of the property.

  • If the property is left furnished between tenancies, a 25% discount will apply until the next tenant moves in
  • Where a property is left unfurnished between tenancies, you may qualify for a 100% discount for a maximum of six months

If your tenant lives with you

If a tenant is living with you as a lodger, you will continue to be liable for the Council Tax. Unless they are a full time student or disregarded for another reason, you would usually be liable to pay the full charge. Please refer to section “reductions to Council Tax bills”.

House of multiple occupation

In a property rented on a multi-occupation basis you will be liable for the Council Tax. Such properties are defined as:

  • constructed or adapted for multi-occupation basis, i.e bedsits
  • rented to tenants who only have a lease on part of the property
  • rented to a tenant who is not liable for rent for the whole property, i.e rental is per person not per property

Properties undergoing refurbishment

If the property is unfurnished and uninhabitable and requires major structural work to make it habitable you may qualify for an exemption for up to one year. The Council Tax section will make arrangements to inspect the property to see if an exemption is appropriate. We are unlikely to backdate this exemption so it is important to let us know immediately that you wish to claim this exemption.

Liability if my tenant has left and owes Council Tax

As your tenant is liable for Council Tax, should they fall into arrears, any debt will remain in their name and not stay with the property or be transferred to you. However, when they leave the property it is important that we are told promptly and provided with a forwarding address. This is so that we can close the account and forward all communication to their new address and not to your property.

If you have any queries or require any information please contact the Council Tax Section on 01639 686188 or email