Most crime against cars, motorbikes and bicycles, including the theft of and theft from, can be easily prevented by taking simple crime prevention steps.
- Lock the doors and close the windows when you leaving your car for any length of time.
- Park in a safe location where there is good surveillance of your vehicle.
- Don't leave anything on display - even a jacket or a bag will be an appealing target for a thief.
- If you can, remove your stereo as never leave expensive electronic objects such as mobile phones on display.
- Always remove your sat nav from your car and ensure any sucker marks left on the windscreen are wiped away.
- Never store your vehicle documents in the car.
- A Thatcham-approved immobiliser or steering lock can help secure older vehicles.
- Think about having the components and windows etched with the car's vehicle registration number (VRN), and make a note of its chassis number.
- Keep your car keys in a secure place, even in your house, so that someone breaking in cannot steal your car too.
Motorbikes / Bicycles
- Always lock your bike, and set its alarm if it has one.
- When leaving your bike for some time, try to lock it to something secure. At home, you can fit special attachments to lock your bike to.
- Use a motorbike cover.
- Have the vehicle marked with its vehicle identification number (VIN)