Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Personal licences

A Personal Licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. Alcohol-serving premises (with the exception of premises that hold a Club Premises Certificate) need at least one Personal Licence holder; one of whom will be named on the Premises Licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor. Every sale of alcohol under the Premises Licence must be authorised by the Designated Premises Supervisor, or by another person who holds a Personal Licence.

The Personal Licence is separate from the Premises Licence which authorises the premises to be used for the supply of alcohol. The benefit of this is that it allows for the movement of Personal Licence holders from one premises to another, allowing greater flexibility.

Further information and guidance on how to apply is available on the Home Office Website.