Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Industrial estates

The Estates and Valuation section within the Environment Directorate manages the industrial starter units that Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council has available.

There are eleven industrial estates with approximately 220 units throughout the county borough available to starter businesses. Units/offices range in size from 13.94 sq metres (150ft) to 464.52 sq metres (5,000ft) which cater for a wide range of commercial uses, however under planning regulations no retail is permitted.

Applying for a unit

The industrial units are provided to assist businesses and therefore the local economy in their areas. Applications will not be considered from individuals wishing to use them for their own private use (for example storage of household items).

Viewing a unit

First of all, we recommend that you visit the property to ensure that the location would be suitable for your business.

Before an appointment can be made for an internal viewing of a property, new businesses need to provide a business plan of their intended venture.

Established businesses need to provide a letter of intention, outlining the following information about the business:

  • how many jobs will be created?
  • what experience do you have?
  • how long have you been in business? 

Applications or enquiries can be sent by email or writing.

Business rates

You will be responsible for paying business rates separately to the Council. You can find the Rate on the Valuation Office Agency's website or by contacting the Council's Non-Domestic Rates Section on 01639 764328.

Other charges/fees

As a commercial tenant, you will be liable for a number of accommodation-related costs which are above the normal day-to-day running expenses.

Typically the following costs may also apply:

Rent/licence fee

You will be responsible for paying the Council rent for the premises you are occupying. All rental payments are due as stated in your lease or tenancy agreement and are normally payable monthly in advance. Payment is usually by direct debit.


The Council insures the premises, the premium being recharged to the tenant. However, it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself as to the extent of coverage, to obtain additional cover if required and to obtain content insurance.

Service charges

Normally these apply to commercial premises. If they apply they will be detailed within your lease and could cover services such as repairs, cleaning, security etc.