Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Respite/Short Breaks

Respite services have changed. They no longer have to mean a bed in a care home for the person cared for. They can take many forms and be used for many things, such as shopping, socialising or enjoying a hobby.

A break could be, for example:

  • a one-off occasion to recharge your batteries
  • a regular hour to yourself
  • daytime or overnight respite
  • ‘adult with care and support needs’ – this means an individual over 18 years old who has been assessed as meeting the current NPTCBC eligibility criteria for Community Care services and requires help or support because of physical or sensory disability or learning disability or frailty as a result of age or mental illness
  • carers who provide or intend to provide a substantial level of unpaid care on a regular basis to an adult with ​care and support needs – as above
  • shared Lives/Adult Placement carers who are approved by a registered Shared Lives/Adult Placement scheme 

Short breaks are provided with the aim of enhancing and developing the quality of life of a person who has support needs and their carer (where there is one), and to support their relationship. A short break for a person who does not have a carer will be offered to meet outcomes which have been noted in the person’s care plan. 

Whether you are a person with care/ support needs or a carer we will need some information about your circumstances. We will meet with you and talk about your situation and what type of support you think you need. This is called a Community Care Assessment or if you are a carer it is called a Carers Assessment. 

To find out more contact Neath Port Talbot’s Adult’s and Children’s Single Point of Contact Team (SPOC).

(01639) 686802 (01639) 686802 voice +441639686802

Every person’s situation is unique, and we carefully consider each request for support. Like all Social Services Departments in Wales, Neath and Port Talbot work to eligibility criteria to help people in the greatest need first and according to the amount of resources available. 

If you do not meet the eligibility criteria we can still provide you with information and advice so that you are able to make your own arrangements for a short break. 

There is a charge for overnight short breaks for adults; the Law states that it is the person with care or support needs who will be assessed as to their ability to pay as they are the one receiving the service. The Social Worker will tell you more about the charges. 

Should a person who accesses services or their carer wish to challenge any decisions made, they should refer to the Council’s appeals procedure. This process has a clear route of appeal and timescale for handling appeals. 

Individuals and/or their carers should be provided with information explaining how to complain about Social Services in Neath Port Talbot, which is available in accessible formats and different languages. The leaflet and details of the complaints procedure can also be accessed online via the Council’s website

Contact the dedicated Adult Services Complaints Team:

Dedicated Adult Services Complaints
(01639) 763445 (01639) 763445 voice +441639763445