Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Your application

What is a test of resources

During a home visit by an Assistant Surveyor you will be required to provide evidence to confirm any income that you and your partner receive and provide up to date bank/building society statements and proof of all investments. The information provided will be part of your formal application and a Means Test will be undertaken. The result of this Means Test may result in a contribution towards the cost of your grant.

How a test of resources is calculated

A Test of Resources form is used to undertake an assessment of an applicant's contribution towards the assistance offered by the Authority. The actual test of resources is carried out under The Housing Renewal Grants Regulation, as amended.

However, in general terms, an applicant's entitlement to assistance is obtained by making a comparison of the income of any relevant person/s, with that of their applicable amount. The applicable amount is a term used for the money that a relevant person needs each week, for the normal living expenses as per set figures in The Housing Renewal Grants Regulation, as amended.

After the applicable amount has been determined, and the total income is subtracted from this amount, any excess of income will then fall into different band multipliers, which will then generate a contribution. The higher the excess the higher the multiplications figure in the bands.

If you think your child qualifies, or would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Housing Renewal and Adaptation Service.

Qualifying/Passporting benefits for full grant aided assistance

If you or your partner receives on of the following benefits you will qualify for full grant aided assistance:

  • Income Support
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-based Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction (formally Council Tax Benefit)
  • Tax Credits (where your annual income for the purposes of the tax credits assessment was below ¬£15,050)
  • Universal Credit
  • If the adaptations are for a child under 16 or a dependant young person over 16 but under 20 for whom child benefit is still paid then there is no means test.

Submitting your application

The Housing Renewal & Adaptations Service will help you submit your application for grant assistance.

We will help with:

  • Completing any and all application forms
  • Carry out a survey of your property
  • Prepare relevant drawings and obtain necessary permissions
  • Appoint a builder
  • Supervise works from start to completion
  • Inspect the work and organise payment for the builders
  • Liaise with all parties involved