Food poverty fund 2023/24
Neath Port Talbot Council has received a total of £56,015 from the Welsh Government to tackle the food poverty crisis in Neath Port Talbot.
- Charitable or voluntary organisations, those with charitable objectives and not-for-private-profit organisations
- Statutory agencies will not be funded for activities they are legally obliged to finance, however, non-statutory activities are eligible
- Schools will be eligible to apply for activities supporting the prevention or alleviation of food poverty
Supporting organisations to meet the needs of an increased number of people and customers facing food poverty and to support activities that focus on addressing the root causes of food poverty.
Examples of eligible spend includes but are not limited to:
- purchasing additional supplies of food and essential goods
- Fareshare membership fees
- community growing/cooking projects where the aim is to tackle food poverty and insecurity
- additional costs incurred as a result of increased demand
- costs incurred as a result of additional outreach work required, especially to reach the most vulnerable
- training for volunteers
- support for organisations that are experiencing difficulties in operating effectively. This may relate to, for example but not limited to:
- some overhead costs
- volunteer expenses
- support to meet additional costs incurred as a result of increased demand such as those relating to additional deliveries
- Start-up costs for developing services around community food provision, such as:
- social supermarkets
- community cafes
- lunch clubs
- advice services and hubs built around community food provision and/or signposting to agencies that can help with issues leading to food poverty
- food partnerships, with a view to creating local food schemes that help tackle food insecurity.
This fund is predominantly revenue based. But there is up to £200 per application available for capital spend on items such as, but not limited to:
- cooking equipment
This grant is unable to cover an organisation’s:
- annual running costs
- costs associated with its normal everyday business aims and objectives (for example staff costs, utility bills, insurance costs etc.)
Levels of funding
We suggest that organisations can apply for funding up to £3,000 (inclusive of capital if relevant). This is taking into consideration the number of applications that we expect to receive.
The amount available may be subject to change depending on:
- the take-up
- how much money is left in the fund as the year progresses
Larger amounts of funding
Larger amounts may be available to multiple organisations working together from different sectors or Council areas.
These organisations should be aiming to develop and strengthen food partnerships. They should be looking to create sustainable food schemes that help tackle food insecurity.
Successful applicants will need to spend their allocated funding by 31 March 2024.
How to apply
The fund can be applied for at any time, either until:
- the grant money runs out
- it gets too close to the 31 March 2024 deadline to be able to process and spend
Organisations can apply more than once as long as submissions are for different or complimentary activities.
Each application will be assessed on its merits and fit with the funding criteria or an identified food poverty need.
Please read the Funding Guidelines prior to completing your application.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a Funding Completion Form and supply proof of expenditure. Any underspend will need to be returned to the Fund.
Please contact the Business Support Officer if you have any questions regarding an application,
Email your completed application form including all the necessary information as required, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Poverty Fund 2023-24 guidelines (DOCX 49 KB)
mTitle: Food Poverty Fund 2023-24 guidelines
mSize: 49 KB
Food Poverty Fund 2023-24 - application form (DOCX 63 KB)
mTitle: Food Poverty Fund 2023-24 - application form
mSize: 63 KB
Food Poverty Fund 2023-24 - funding completion form (DOCX 46 KB)
mTitle: Food Poverty Fund 2023-24 - funding completion form
mSize: 46 KB