Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Animal licensing

The codes of practice and guidance for pet animals is available on the Welsh Government website

Animal licenses are required in a number of circumstances:

Animal Boarding

Under the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963, anyone who wishes to carry on the business of providing accommodation for other people’s cats and dogs must obtain a licence.

In most instances this applies to accommodation offered in purpose built boarding kennels, but also applies where accommodation is provided at a persons home address, often referred to as home boarding.

We have adopted conditions for boarding establishments, which applicants must comply with before a licence can be issued. Applicants are advised to read the conditions prior to making an application.

List of licensed animal boarders

Apply for Animal Boarding licence

Dog Breeding

Anyone breeding and selling dogs as a business must have a licence from the Council.

We ensure animals have suitable accommodation, food, exercise and are protected from disease and fire before granting a licence.

We have extensive powers to check on the standards of health, welfare and accommodation of the animals and to enforce the law covering these areas.

We have adopted conditions for boarding establishments, in addition to mandatory conditions set out in legislation, which applicants must comply with before a licence can be issued.

Applicants are advised to read the conditions before making an application.

Dog Breeding Establishment Application Form

Learn how to spot the signs of a deceitful pet seller

Dangerous Wild Animals

Under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 it is an offence to keep an animal listed in the schedule to the Act without a licence from the Council.

If such animals are kept without a licence the local authority is empowered to seize and either keep, destroy or otherwise dispose of unlicensed animals. The act does not apply to animals kept in zoos, circuses or pet shops.

The schedule covers a long list of animals including wild boar, ostrich, monkeys and certain lizards and snakes. The Act is designed to safeguard the community from wild animals which could be dangerous to the public.

If you are unsure if an animal is on the schedule for the Act, you should contact the Licensing section.

Dangerous Wild Animals licence application form

Pet Shops

Any person who keeps a pet shop must hold licence issued by the Council. A ‘Pet Shop’ is a premises where the business of selling animals as pets is carried on, or where animals are kept with a view to sale.

We have adopted conditions for Pet Shops, which applicants must comply with before a licence can be issued. Applicants are advised to read the guidance prior to making an application.

Apply for Pet Shop licence

Zoo Licence

We are responsible for licensing zoos under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981.

A zoo is defined as "any establishment other than a circus or pet shop, where wild animals are kept for public exhibition on more than 7 days in any consecutive 12 months". Further information and guidance on how to apply is available from GOV.UK

Apply Online

Performing Animals

It is against the law for anyone to train or exhibit a performing animal unless they are registered under the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925.

The Act is designed to cover using animals in stage performances such as circuses, as part of an exhibition or educational programme, even where there is no charge for the performance. Once you've got your registration you don't need to renew it.

Register Performing Animals