Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Street café licence

The Highways Act 1980, Section 115 {as amended by the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982}, empowers the Council to issue licences for the "provision, maintaining and operation of facilities for refreshments on the highway" – i.e. street cafes. Further information on Street Cafes and Obstructions on the highway can be downloaded below.

Please see details bellow on how to apply for a street cafe licence.

Who can apply?

The Council will issue licences for the placing of tables and chairs outside cafés, pubs and similar premises for the purpose of serving refreshments. The café scene will provide businesses an opportunity to expand in a cost effective way providing customers with more choice.

The licensing of stalls for street trading and of premises, which sell alcohol is covered by other legislation, which is separately administered by the Council’s Licensing Section. Therefore, premises which are licenced to sell alcohol, and wishing also to provide tables and chairs on a pavement or pedestrianised area outside the premises will need to obtain an additional licence, as set out in this policy.

Conditions of the permit.

Street cafes add to the colour and atmosphere of towns in the County Borough. The Council is keen to encourage that where they are set up they are of good quality and properly designed. The council will judge each application for a licence on its merits, taking into account factors including:

  • whether or not the location is in a pedestrianised area
  • the volume of both pedestrian and vehicular traffic at the location
  • the available pavement width
  • existing street furniture in the vicinity
  • the need to ensure unimpeded passage for pedestrians 
  • access at all times for emergency services

A business must have Public Liability Insurance of at least £2 million, have due respect for the health and safety of the public and demonstrate good housekeeping.

Please view the Street Café Guidelines, for the full criteria on which licence applications will be judged and the requirements for the layout and demarcation of licensed areas.

How do I apply?

Application forms are available in the following formats:-

  • Download a street cafe application form.
  • Pre - printed application forms are also available by post.

Application forms must be completed in full and returned to the Streetworks Department.

How much will it cost?

There is currently no charge for applying for a street café licence.

How long does the permit last and what is the renewal process?

Street café licences are valid for 12 months. If you wish to extend the licence after the initial 12 months period you must apply for a new licence.

How long will it take to process the application?

Applications are typically processed within 28 days.

Does tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority within 28 days of submitting a fully completed application.

If I’m turned down, how do I appeal?

There is no appeal procedure. If you have any queries about any decisions, please contact the Streetworks department.

Contact details

Directions to SA11 2GG
Streetworks Department
The Quays Brunel Way,
Briton Ferry Neath
SA11 2GG pref
(01639) 686338 (01639) 686338 voice +441639686338


  • Street cafe application (PDF 104 KB)

    i.Id: 4624
    i.ContentType.Alias: nptFile
    mTitle: Street cafe application
    mSize: 104 KB
    mType: pdf
    i.Url: /media/1t3e5voo/streetworks-application-for-a-street-cafe.pdf

  • Street cafe guidance notes (PDF 743 KB)

    i.Id: 4623
    i.ContentType.Alias: nptFile
    mTitle: Street cafe guidance notes
    mSize: 743 KB
    mType: pdf
    i.Url: /media/kjxfxisp/streetworks-street-cafe-guidance-notes.pdf