Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Help with childcare costs

Tax-Free Childcare

If you're a working parent with children under 12 (or under 17 for disabled children), you can open an online account to pay for registered childcare. The government will top-up the money you pay into the account. For every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2. You can receive up to £2,000 per child per year - that's up to £500 every three months. If you have a disabled child, you can receive up to £4,000 per child - that's up to £1,000 every three months.

Am I eligible?

You, and any partner, must each expect to earn (on average) at least £125 per week (equal to 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage). 

If you, or your partner, are on maternity, paternity or adoption leave, or you're unable to work because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, you could still be eligible.

You can't get Tax-Free Childcare if either you, or your partner, each individually expect to £100,000 or more.

You can use it to help pay

  • registered childminders, nannies and nurseries;
  • schools, after school clubs and play schemes;
  • day nurseries and wraparound clubs.

You can't use Tax Free Childcare at the same time as:

Tax Credits for Childcare

If you are a working family in the UK with children under 16 (or under 17 if disabled), you can claim up to 70% of childcare costs back. Depending on your income, you could get up to £122.50 a week for one child or up to £210 for two or more.

Am I eligible?

You must be entitled to working tax credit, and you, and any partner, must be working at least 16 hours a week.

You may also be eligible for Child Tax Credit, even if you are not working.

You can use tax credits for childcare to help pay

  • registered childminders, nurseries, and nannies;
  • afterschool clubs and play schemes;
  • Schools and homecare workers working for a registered home care agency

You can’t claim tax credits at the same time as:

Universal Credit is being phased in over the next few years. It will replace a number of existing benefits, including tax credits. If you are already receiving tax credits, you don’t need to do anything now.

Universal Credit for Childcare

Please visit the Universal Credit website for more information.

 Childcare Offer for Wales

The Childcare Offer for Wales provides up to 30 hours a week of funded childcare and early education for eligible working parents of 3 to 4 years-olds, for up to 48 weeks of the year. The offer is available for children from the term after their third birthday until the September following their fourth birthday when they are offered a full-time education place.

The offer consists of a combination of the existing Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) provision open to all 3 and 4 year-olds, and additional funded childcare.

All applications for the Childcare Offer are processed by Neath Port Talbot Councils Childcare Offer team, and are available here.

For more information please contact Childcare Offer Team on 01639 873018

O Gam i Gam

O Gam i Gam is an additional source of Childcare support funded by NPTCBC and available to parents/carers resident within the Local Authority area.

O Gam i Gam provides an opportunity for children with Additional Learning Needs (ALN) to access and participate within good quality childcare settings throughout the county of Neath Port Talbot.

The scheme also enables children from families in receipt of certain benefits to access a good quality childcare setting at a reduced fee.

For more information on O Gam i Gam please email

PaCE (Parents, Childcare and Employment)

Are Childcare costs preventing you from training or working? 
PaCE will help parents/guardians who are out of work into training and employment.

They will help find and fund solutions to overcoming childcare barriers to enable parents/guardians to prepare for and access employment opportunities.

To find out more visit

Grandparents’ Childcare Credit

Adults caring for a child under 12 may be entitled to receive National Insurance credits if you are a grandparent or other family member caring for a child under 12, usually while the parent or main carer is working.