There are support services and independent benefit calculators that can help you to find out what welfare benefits you may be able to claim.
Help to access benefits
- Welfare Rights Team – the Council’s Welfare Rights Team can advise and support people with claims for all welfare benefits and appeal Tribunals. The team also consists of dedicated Macmillan Benefit Advisors who support cancer patients and their families with their benefits, providing similar benefits advice, as well as Macmillan Grants.
- Citizens Advice can help you with welfare benefit payments and money advice.
- Claim what’s yours - If you are unsure about what benefits you can claim, There are support services and independent benefit calculators that can help you to find out what welfare benefits you may be able to claim. Advicelink Cymru can help you check and claim what’s yours.
- Benefits calculators - Use an independent benefits calculator to find out: what benefits you could get, how to claim and how your benefits will be affected if you start work
Types of benefits
There are various welfare benefits you may be entitled to.
- Universal Credit – this is a benefit to help with living costs if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.
- Council tax support – help towards paying your council tax bill
- Pension Credit - Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income.
- Attendance Allowance - help with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - help with extra living costs if you have both: a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability, and have difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition
- Discretionary Housing Payments – help towards housing costs for those in the greatest need
- Sense Cost of Living Support Fund - distributing grants of £500 to people with complex disabilities who are on low incomes and who are living in the family home.