Houses into Homes
Houses into Homes Empty Property Loan Scheme
The Welsh Government’s Houses into Homes loan scheme offers short term interest free loans to renovate and/or convert long term empty properties back into use as residential accommodation. This could include turning a property into flats, the renovation of an existing dwelling, or the conversion of a commercial property into residential accommodation.
Loans are available for up to £25,000 per property and up to a maximum of £250,000 per applicant.
The property must have been vacant for at least 6 months.
There are a number of conditions associated with the loan. These include:
- The loan is repayable over 5 years if it is made available to rent
- The loan is repayable over 2 years if it is made available to sell
- A one-off administration fee will apply that may be paid over the term of the loan or paid up front.
- There is an 80% loan to value (LTV) ratio where any loan offered, taking into consideration any existing mortgage or secured loan cannot exceed 80% of the current market value of property offered as security. Examples of this can be provided on request.
All loans are subject to availability. Any offer of a loan is not guaranteed until you have received formal approval from the council. Any works undertaken prior to this approval will be at your own risk.
All applicants must meet the following conditions to obtain the loan:
- The property must be located in Neath Port Talbot
- The property must have been vacant for at least 6 months.
- Applicants must pass an affordability assessment (where Credit Rating Information and other factors will be used)
- Eligible work will be determined by a Local Authority Officer upon inspection of the property.
- The property must be made available for sale or letting upon completion of the works, owner occupation is not permitted, please see our Home Improvement Loan for owner occupation.
If you are interested in applying for the Houses into Homes empty property loan, contact:
Housing Renewal & Adaptation Service
Tel: 01639 763535 (Monday to Wednesday) or 01639 763212 (Wednesday to Friday)