Get help with school essentials
If you are the parent or guardian of a child in education from Reception to year 11, you may be eligible for a grant to help to pay for essential school items.
The official name of this grant is School essentials grant.
How much is it
The grant amount for the 2023 to 2024 school year is:
- £125 for eligible children
- £200 for children in year 7
How you can use it
You can use the grant to pay for:
- school uniforms, coats and footwear
- sports equipment and kit
- equipment for school activities, including musical lessons, outdoor learning and after school clubs
- classroom essentials, including pens, pencils and school bags
- equipment and materials for new subjects or courses
You may be eligible if you are a parent or guardian of a child in education from Reception to year 11, and you receive one of these benefits:
- Income support
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit - As long as your annual income is £16,190 or less before tax and you don't receive Working Tax Credit
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit - Your household earnings must be less than £7,400 a year after tax. This does not include any income from benefits
- Help under Immigration and Asylum Seekers Act 1999
You may be eligible if you have no recourse to public funds (NRPF).
Please apply to the Local Authority where the child attends school.
You might also be eligible for:
- help with other school costs from Welsh Government
- other help from the council
You can apply from 1 July 2023 to 31 May 2024.
You will need your:
- contact information
- child's school name
You can only apply once for each child in a year.
If you have any questions about your application or need help to apply, please contact: