Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Noise nuisance

Find out what to do if you have a noise complaint and and what action you can take.

Noises we can deal with

The types of noise we receive the most complaints about are:
  • barking dogs
  • burglar alarms
  • car alarms (when stationary)
  • car stereos (when stationary)
  • construction and demolition
  • entertainment
  • factories / industrial sites
  • loud music
  • neighbour disputes

Noises we can't deal with

The types of noise we can't deal with are:
  • anti social behaviour
  • military aircraft
  • passenger aircraft
  • shouting and banging of doors
  • traffic

Report noise nuisance

You will need to give:

  • your name
  • your address
  • name (if you know it) of the person causing the problem
  • address of the person causing the problem

What happens next

After reporting your noise complaint we will:

  1. write to confirm receipt of your complaint
  2. include a diary sheet for you to fill in
  3. ask you to keep a record of the noise over two to three weeks
  4. need you to send the sheets back to us for an officer to examine
  5. investigate your complaint further if we think there is a genuine noise problem
  6. visit your home to discuss the problem with you

Useful links