Home Improvement Loan
Welsh Government’s Home Improvement Loan is an interest free loan ranging from £1000 to £25,000 to pay for essential repairs on your home. The loan is available to home owners, landlords (individuals or companies), developers and charity/third sector organisations.
You can use the loan to pay for work that makes your home warmer, safer and more secure. For example:
- Substantial defects to your property for example - dangerous staircase, hazardous electrics, leaking roof.
- Fire safety or security
- Upgrading boilers/central heating systems
- New windows
- Damp proofing
This is not an exhaustive list.
There are a number of conditions associated with the loan. These include:
- The minimum loan per household property is £1000 with a maximum of £25,000.
- Repayment terms for homeowners will be agreed on a case by case basis up to a maximum loan term of up to 10 years.
- A one-off administration fee will apply that may be paid over the term of the loan or paid up front.
- There is an 80% loan to value (LTV) ratio where any loan offered, taking into consideration any existing mortgage or secured loan cannot exceed 80% of the current market value of property offered as security. Examples of this can be provided on request.
All loans are subject to availability. Any offer of a loan is not guaranteed until you have received formal approval from the council. Any works undertaken prior to this approval will be at your own risk
All applicants must meet the following conditions to obtain the loan:
- The property must be located in Neath Port Talbot
- Applicants must pass an affordability assessment (where Credit Rating Information and other factors will be used)
- Eligible work will be determined by a Local Authority Officer upon inspection of the property.
If you are interested in applying for the Home Improvement Loan, contact:
Housing Renewal & Adaptation Service
Tel: 01639 763535 (Monday to Wednesday) or 01639 763212 (Wednesday to Friday)