Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

How residents can help

Homes for Ukraine

If you want to offer a home to people fleeing Ukraine, you can become a ‘sponsor’ as part of the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

Register your interest

You can apply to become a sponsor by registering your interest through the UK Government's Homes for Ukraine scheme. You can also register your interest through Reset - The Community Sponsorship Organisation who are trying to match UK homes with Ukrainians needing help.

Matching sponsors with Ukrainian nationals

The process of matching suitable sponsors with Ukrainian nationals is carried out by the UK Government who will contact you directly if a match is made. Once matched, the council’s social services team will contact you to make arrangements to undertake accommodation, safeguarding and DBS checks.

We appreciate that people are eager for these checks to be completed as soon as possible, but please be assured that we will be in touch with you as soon as we have more information.

Guidance for sponsors

Before registering your interest, you should check whether you are eligible to become a sponsor. It is also important that you take the time to consider the commitment to becoming a sponsor before submitting your application. If you are matched via Reset, you will be required to attend one of their webinars about the Homes for Ukraine process, how the matching service works, and to help you decide if hosting a Ukrainian national in your home or property is right for you. The sponsor guidance also outlines what will be expected of you. 

Sponsor checks

All sponsors are required to have accommodation, safeguarding and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks. These checks are carried out by the council.

The safeguarding and DBS checks are to ensure there are no safeguarding risks. The accommodation check is to ensure your home meets the standards set out in the accommodation guidance

Payments to sponsors

The UK Government is offering an optional 'thank you' payment of £350 per month to people who can accommodate one or more guests.

The ‘thank you’ payment is limited to one payment per residential address. You will continue to receive payments for as long as you sponsor somebody and for up to 12 months.

The UK government is ensuring ‘thank you payments’ do not affect benefit entitlement and will remain tax-free.

Details on how to claim the payment will be given to you by the social work team visiting the property. The payment will be made at the end of each month.

Tell us when your guests have arrived

To help make the transition to life in Neath Port Talbot as smooth as possible for your guests we need your help. This will ensure that we can provide you with help and support for your whole household throughout the sponsorship.

When your guest(s) arrive, please email the following information:

  • your name
  • your address
  •  name(s) of guest(s)
  • whether your guests include children aged 0-18
  • date of arrival

This will help us to make sure any payments and support for children you are receiving as guests can be arranged if they haven’t been already.

Household insurance

All host families should contact their household insurance provider to inform them that they are hosting Ukrainian nationals. Many insurers have agreed not to charge additional fees but this could vary.

Help for Ukrainian nationals arriving in Neath Port Talbot

We have set up a dedicated webpage that contains information about the services that can help Ukrainian nationals including a 24-hour helpline and a UK welcome guide.

Frequently asked questions

For a list of frequently asked questions and to learn more about the Homes for Ukraine scheme, visit

Email us

If you cannot find the answer you are searching for on this webpage, please email .

Ukraine Family Scheme

The Ukraine Family Scheme allows family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK.

For more information and to apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme visa, visit: